News & Publications
Proposed 0.4 Mil Continuous Levy Request on November Ballot
DCBDD has proposed a new 0.4 mil continuous levy for the November 6, 2018 ballot. DCBDD currently serves around 2,500 people from birth throughout their lifespan. Over the past 5 years, DCBDD has seen enrollment grow by an average of 3% each year. This significant growth is projected to continue. DCBDD has proposed a 0.4 mil continuous to support and sustain this growth. The facts and information below explain the reason for the new request.
About the 0.4 Mil Continuous Request
- It will generate $3,131,579 per year to support the continued growth and demand for services (based on 2017 assessed values)
- The cost to the taxpayer is $14 per year (based on a home valuation of $100,000)
- If the 0.4 mil levy passes, DCBDD will allow its existing 0.56 mil levy to expire
Why is DCBDD requesting this levy?
- 79% of the people served by the board are children
- The cost to serve a child on average is $2,101 compared to the average cost to serve an adult which is $16,293
- In the next 5 years, 159 children will transition to adults increasing services by nearly $8.5 million
- The 0.4 mil continuous levy provides a long-term and stable funding source for DCBDD
- The 0.4 mil levy supports DCBDD in preparing for future growth and demand for services
What existing levies does DCBDD have currently and what are the plans should the 0.4 mil levy pass?
- Currently, DCBDD has a 0.56 mil levy and 2.1 mil levy which are both up for renewal in 2020
- Should the 0.4 mil continuous levy pass, DCBDD will allow the 0.56 mil levy to expire resulting in a tax decrease for taxpayers
If you have questions or comments about the upcoming levy, please contact 740-201-5810 or send us an email.